Keep

Truckin'

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Never Again

As promised yesterday, today is the day that I will enlighten the world about my recent trip to the spa. Some people spend a considerable amount of money/time in the foreign world of spas but I for one have never actually made a day of it. Hubby works really hard for the money that we have and in order to stay home with the kiddies there are sacrifices that are made. It's not a pity-me statement, not at all. I would gladly give up spa time for other things in life (example trips abroad, new clothes, a car, etc...) even if money wasn't an issue. However because I have the sweetest Hubby in the world, he thought I deserved a day to myself and treated me to a pedicure, manicure and a fifty minute massage! I was so excited at the prospect of relaxing without the sound of screaming children and just letting all the stress melt away. I even splurged and spent an extra twenty-five dollars to enjoy dinner and a glass of wine alongside my spa experience.

The day finally comes and I get to the spa really early to make sure that I don't miss my appointment. A spa employee shows me to my private dressing room (which was really nice and clean) and tells to me to change into a robe and then sit in their lounge area. She apologizes because the lounge is under construction so really it's a big room of comfy seats cordoned off with dividers. To be honest I felt a little uncomfortable so out in the open, especially with the construction workers walking back and forth. Actually a pretty girl walked out right in front of me and one of the construction gave her the up and down, undressing her even further from her white housecoat and slippers! I tightened the housecoat around myself and made sure that I hadn't accidentally tucked the end of it into my underwear or anything! So I sit down in a huge, very comfortable chair and look up only to realize that I'm sitting under the windows of all the offices above. Honestly, the shopping mall that houses the spa has offices above the lounge and anyone, literally anyone can see down. Now I feel a bit out of place. I sit for a while waiting for my lunch to be served and when the woman shows up with my tray I opt to sit in another area with tables. I realize that my food order isn't correct, I'm missing the salmon salad that they had promised me over the phone. I knew when I was placing the order that they had made a mistake because I had asked for the sandwich meal and on their website it stated that you got a green salad with the sandwich... However when the lady offered the salmon salad I figured maybe I was the one that had made the mistake. The food was pretty good but definitely nothing special. There was no wine that came with my meal so I assumed that it would be served later during the actual spa procedures. I didn't say anything for fear of sounding cheap but I was annoyed because beyond the employees not actually knowing their menu properly, I figured for $25 they should at least offer me the promised wine. Instead I decide to wait. The massage came next. I had decided to get the shoulder, neck and back specialty (mostly because that's where I always have pain!) but found it a bit odd that the masseuse did my whole body anyway. The pedicure/manicure followed the massage but with what seemed like a significant waiting time between. At the end of my manicure the very nice lady told me to go back to the lounge and wait. I have to admit that I thought it a bit odd since I was done everything but obeyed because I figured what do I know about spa experiences! I waited, I waited and I waited. After a nice forty-five minute stay, three chocolate dipped strawberries later and nerves of steel, I got up and went back to my private dressing room. Inside was a customer comment card which I felt obliged to fill out and express my dissatisfaction (and that was before I actually went through the check out...) I was pissed. I didn't get my wine. I was told to wait and for what reason? I quickly dressed and made my way to the reception desk to pay for my overpriced lunch. The girl at the reception desk looked up at me with a smile. "Did you enjoy everything?" I answered as honestly as I could, "No, not really." She didn't say anything and kept typing away. Then she looks up and I can tell that the friendly smile is gone and she's no longer happy. Quite sarcastically she asks, "So I guess that means that you have a complaint?" I politely explain my issues, only one of which was the matter of the wine. "Well do you want it now?" I held my tongue because I wanted to answer, "Seriously? You expect me to stand at the reception desk like an idiot drinking a glass of wine because you didn't even have the courtesy to offer it to me during my stay?" I hold back and say no thanks. Then I ask for my official massage receipt for insurance purposes (not everyone is rich you know!) and she tells me that I should have asked the masseuse. Again she seems to think I should know all of this. So because I didn't ask the masseuse I am told that I have to wait for her to send it in the mail, I will receive it in a few business days. Urggh.

So the massage cost about forty dollars more than a traditional massage would cost at a "regular" massage parlour and didn't live up to my standards. The food was mediocre and cost enough that I regret making the decision to dine there. The non-existent wine was exactly that, non-existent. The manicure and pedicure were quite enjoyable, I'd go back to get the same ones done if I didn't have to deal with the actual spa itself! The topper to the cake was the extremely rude receptionist that I have a whole bunch of words for and will never get to express them! All in all for the money that my wonderful Husband put out for the day, I feel hugely disappointed. I couldn't lie to him either so I had to tell him about my disappointment which I could tell broke his heart. He works hard for the money that he makes and sadly it was wasted (to no fault of his own) on a day at Spa Diva.

I don't think I'll be going back any day soon.

1 comment:

CountryMouse said...

Can't believe that a spa that advertises so heavily could actually have such bad service...you should write a letter to the management detailing your experience. If you're lucky, maybe at least you'll get an apology, and if not, maybe the next clients will be treated better.
I had so hoped it would be a wonderful relaxing time for you :(