Keep

Truckin'

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Getting rid of this apartment is proving to be a lot harder than I thought it would! Why is it that no one wants a mouse infested house governed by a surly, drunken landlord? I don't get it. We have placed ads on a few of the most popular advertising (the free ones anyway!) sites and have received a whopping three or four phone calls. Two of those calls proved useless since the people were looking for an apartment for the first of July. That's no good for us because there's no possible way we can get a truck on our provincial moving day. The first person that actually came to see our house was a couple that kept switching to their own language to talk about what their thoughts were on the place ... am I the only person that thinks that's rude? When someone is stepping on the same place on the floor and motioning to it while saying something in their native tongue, I can only assume they are saying "wow these floors are squeaky!" Why yes they are, they drive us nuts as well. Then we start talking prices and when the apartment is available and I say "it's negotiable..." Mr. of the couple says "oh good because the apartment is way too expensive, I'll just negotiate with the landlord." Ya, good luck with that one. We offered to do yard work (that doesn't ever get done) for a reduction in the price of our rent and he wouldn't even agree to that. Besides when I said "negotiable" I didn't mean the price I meant the date that we're out of here! Then it was all about bargaining for a parking spot in our landlord's already tiny drive way, good luck again. After that couple was a girl who game to the apartment but apparently failed to ask before she got here what month we were moving out! Hubby tells her "August" and it's all over. So much for that.

There's something so degrading about showing your apartment to people and having them sort of turn up their noses. It's like letting them see a window into your life and them not approving. It's just a little odd. It's not really personal because you don't know the person or even care what they think but at the same time it is, how can it not be? I can't help but cringe when the Mr. of the couple asked us if the fridge and the stove came with the apartment, Hubby says "no". He responds, "good because if they did I'd tell you to get rid of them". Hmmmm...

3 comments:

CountryMouse said...

Can you believe the nerve of some people?! Commenting on your stove...
I went through something like that the one time I tried to sublet--found a tenant, but the landlord turned out to be racist, and nixed the deal!

SnortyBurrito said...

I have a feeling that might be the case with our landlord too.

Mr. Percival Piggles said...

What the hell? You guys have a great fridge and stove! I would want them!! Mr. Piggles :)