Keep

Truckin'

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Our Little Frenchman

I swear that Bulldozer was born to speak french. With all the language politics in Quebec I can't help but laugh... It started with "oui oui" when he was just a little one, Hubby and I would giggle at his french accent. When he learned to say "hello" it came out "allo" and instead of "two" it was "deux". Some would say it's just a coincidence or maybe he has difficulty pronouncing some sounds in English but I still hold fast that he was born to speak the french language.

He still has trouble saying his name (he believes it's "Ernie, or maybe that's just his alter ego!) and "big" doesn't sound like it has a "g"! However he can now say "yeux" (eyes), "pomme" (apple), "bateau" (boat) and the best, "tarte aux pommes" (apple pie). It's so cute watching him pronounce these words and I find myself feeling extremely proud of him. I've lived my whole life here and to this day I'm still not even close to being bilingual. I feel like I've been held back by the language barrier and I don't want our kids to fight that. I have pride in my province's official language and I want my kids to grow up with that appreciation as well. Just like we should be proud of the country we live in, we should learn all about the native Indian/french settlers who developed this gorgeous province. I say "way to go my little Frenchman"!

1 comment:

CountryMouse said...

Qui aime la tarte aux pommes?!

Ernie!!!