Keep

Truckin'

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

BMW

My Hubby and I don't own a car so we depend on the BMW method ... bus, metro and walk, in other words public transportation. Sounds like it should have leather seats and air conditioning but usually it's just overcrowded, smelly and late! You get used to it though and I've been taking public transit for years now so it's just another part of everyday life. However there's been numerous "incidents" on the bus that have irked me beyond belief and have launched my evening prayers for a vehicle that I don't have to share with anyone! The absolute worst fact about buses is that nobody likes people with strollers! Apparently everyone else in the world is allowed to take buses EXCEPT for those of us with kids, interesting isn't it? And because of this common consensus that moms with children are a bother, a few strangers have said or done things that make me want to rethink my decision to not practise violence on others! Extreme you might think. Let me tell you some of these stories and you may change your mind.

One day Hubby and I get on a bus and it is packed beyond belief. We try to stand out of the way but there are people in every seat and floor space available! Two women get on after us and one of them (very loudly I might add) says, "I can't believe these people and their stupid carriages, I used to take my son in a carrier all the time." First of all thank you for making references to "these people" and "stupid strollers" when you're obviously talking about me and my stroller, standing only two feet away! So I turn to her and answer, "well what are we supposed to do, we don't have the right to take the bus too?" No response. I just spent nearly $800 on a compact stroller that would conveniently carry two children and you're complaining?!? Second of all, if my back was good enough to load one child on the front of myself and one on the back, I still wouldn't do it! Third of all, I don't complain about your presence so don't complain about mine! Rude people.

The next story is probably the one that my Husband will rant about the most! One night we're heading home on a bus and our wee little one is laying down in the stroller which is covered on the back with plastic (it was really cold) and the other seat for the second child almost sits on top of the first one so it's like he's totally enclosed. Wee little one is screaming his head off because he's tired and this woman looks over in horror and yells "he's suffocating!" I could just see the fire in Hubby's eyes! He shoots back, "I think I'd know if I'm suffocating my own child" and asks her to mind her own business! Seriously though? Would we put our beautiful baby in danger, really? I know she doesn't know us but how rude is it to yell something like that out on a crowded bus. If you're really that concerned come over and express your thoughts, other than that get lost!

Last but not least is the total lack of respect when it comes to other people. I can't tell you how many times I've stood eight and a half months pregnant with our toddler in the stroller and no body's offered their seat on a packed bus. I'm starting to think that maybe people believe that since I've brought on my state (being pregnant I mean!), then I should deal with the consequences. When a ten pound weight is pushing on your bladder, your ankles are larger than your thighs, you can't even see your own feet if you tried and your back aches from the large bowling ball on the front of you, I'd like you to reevaluate your decisions! Actually for the common good of all, it's actually in your best interest to give up your seat for that pregnant woman on the bus!

No comments: