Keep

Truckin'

Saturday, April 17, 2010

M.I.C.E.


My husband has dubbed the intersection of our street and the connecting one my "B*$%# Corner". I'm really starting to wonder what it is about that spot that unleashes the fury. It's a pretty regular rant site and it's not intentional at all! Never do I think, well we're at the corner again, maybe I should complain about that rude person at the grocery store or what our landlord's newest antics are. It just seems to happen.

A couple of days ago the topic of conversation was mice. On our walk back from the grocery store we rounded that corner and all I could think of was how upset I was about the mouse issue in our apartment. I have never lived in a house with mice that ran free before and I have to admit it's a bit nerve wracking. I constantly worry about getting up in the middle of the night and having a mouse run with those little tiny feet of theirs, right over my own feet. I hear the scurrying in the walls (of our bedroom of all places) and it keeps me up at night imagining how many mice there could be. Get this, I've even had nightmares about the critters! I know I have a pet rodent in my residence but it's simply not the same thing. He's caged, cute and doesn't scurry around in my walls. He doesn't go through my cupboards and eat the labels off of my oil containers or make a regular appearance on my kitchen floor. I hate the mice. I want them gone. My Hubby set up traps with poison but we had to put them in out-of -the-way places so Bulldozer doesn't get into them. The first trap seemed to work. I mean the mouse managed to upturn the poison pellets everywhere so I'm assuming he gobbled at least one of them up which in turn would cause him to die and dry up in our walls! Heartless? Maybe but I'm not a fan of "vermin". The second trap was strategically placed in our bedroom behind the dresser and I don't think it has been visited once! So it's been approximately five months or so that we've been putting up with our "visitors" and they've definitely overstayed their welcome. Were they ever really welcome?

We're waiting for all of our neighbours to agree to exterminate together (our homes are all connected) so they'll be gone once and for all. I am a pretty understanding person or at least I'd like to think that I am. I have been quite patient considering the circumstances. I keep wondering if there is something more that we could do. Maybe we can train Dexter (our rodent) to give Stewart Little the boot, you know like a bouncer for our home! If I wasn't completely and utterly allergic to felines, I'd invite a pussycat in to take care of the problem. Oh-so-very-compassionate-Husband-of-mine has suggested waiting in the living room with a pellet rifle to ummm, "scare" them away! Serving an eviction notice has crossed my mind but what language do mice read? A swift kick in the behind is also, I believe, a worthwhile exertion of my energy but the buggers are quick!

P.S. Since you the mice have taken over and use our kitchen for eating, our bedroom for sleeping and our hallway for traversing between rooms, I can only assume that you also use our computer for personal use as well. If you read this, please accept our plea to vacate the premises and relocate somewhere else. That man who proceeded to almost run over our child at the mall with his scooter is first of my list for houses that would enjoy your presence. The man who works at the Vietnamese restaurant down the street is my second pick. Hey, if you could only live downstairs in our landlord's apartment and not ours, you could gladly pack your bag for an extended stay.

1 comment:

CountryMouse said...

I have a great place for those vermin of yours..send them packing to our country place to keep their country cousins company (not to mention helping the hawks and owls well-fed!). The mice we can do without, but I kinda like having the hawks around!