Keep

Truckin'

Friday, April 9, 2010

No PeePee!

So this whole process started about five months ago, around the time our wee little one was born. I had taken off BullDozer's nappy to change it and then got distracted by something in the kitchen... in streaks Mr. Bare Bum gesturing towards the bathroom wildly and repeating "uh uh uh". I sleepily ask him "Do you want to go potty?" and he responds "YES!" Shocked I picked him up and ran, barely making it in time to hear the little tinkle hit the pot. I believe one second longer and I would have worn his prize! So that was the beginning of the potty training experience. I laughed to myself thinking "And they say potty training is hard"... Somewhere in my twisted mind I actually believed that he would potty train himself and all the hard work would be non-existent!

Fast forward five months...

"Do you want to go potty", I ask very nicely. He looks defiantly at me and responds, "NO!". I use an absolutely horrible parenting technique: "I'll give you a sticker!" ... "NO!", "A treat?" ... "YES!" "So you'll go potty if Mommy gives you a treat?" (I must admit I felt quite smug!) Then the honest answer ... "NO!"

Now he's learned to talk a little more. When I ask him if he'd like to do his pee pee on the potty he looks at me with those big crystal blue eyes and tells me with much conviction I must add, "No PeePee!" Since the first time we've done a total of four pees on that dreaded contraption and apparently even though it sings to reward him for his effort, it's not all that effective!

... Could I be the only Mom that has nightmares about their six year old going to school in diapers?

1 comment:

CountryMouse said...

Personally I've never seen a six-year-old still wearing diapers, but Bulldozer could turn out to be the exception to the rule!Honestly, I don't what the attraction is in having a saggy, wet hunk of paper around your bottom... Maybe it's the warmth! Hmm, heated potty might be the trick!